Friday, September 02, 2005

We are all pink on the inside

Hey, remember me?

My apologies for the extended break between posts. Between my Aunty passing away, a busy work schedule and my own health issues, Ive hardly had time to keep my blog up to date. I write this at work, glancing over my shoulder to make sure no one is coming.

A funny thing happened to me last night, and I just had to share it with those who read my blog.

Allow me to set the scene...

I have the flu you see, so Im taking Cold and Flu tablets. There are two sets of two daytime tablets, and one set of two night tablets. These night tablets are quite strong and tend to put you to sleep quite quickly.

The night before last I was at home speaking to my mum. it was about 9pm and she thought it was time for me to take my night tablets. But there was a dilema, at 10:30pm the season finale of "The Shield" was on, and I desperately wanted to watch it.

So I says to Old Mother JerkFace "I dont want the pills yet cause I will fall asleep and miss my show".

"What show is that?" she says.

"The Shield" I reply.

"Oh, whats that about?" she asked me, just because she is nosey like that.

"Its about cops Mum", and because I knew more questions were coming I continued "Its on late because there is swearing and violence".

So I went to bed and watched The Shield season finale (which was intense).

The next day, Im watching TV with my mum again, shes flicking through the channels and stops on FOX8. There was a long add for all the shows that are going to be showed on FOX8 in the coming months.

Turns out The Shield is coming to FOX8 soon, so I pointed to it, and said "Mum, thats that show I wanted to watch last night, awesome show it is!".

Mum looks up just as they are previewing the next show, which happened to be "Queer as Folk". She looks at the TV and sees two guys kissing and fondling and thinks to herself "Oh, my son likes to watch shows about guys pashing, I knew he was gay, thats why his marriage didnt work!". My mother is a bandit at making assumptions.

I saw what she saw and immediately knew what she was thinking, so what should I do? Do I point out that what she is looking at is not the show I wanted to watch? or do I just stand there like an idiot and let her think what she wants? For better or worse I chose the latter. So now Mum has more fuel for the rumour fire, which she will undoubtably tell my sister, but to be honest, I really dont care anymore.

I think there is a lesson to be learnt from this, to ASSUME is to make an ASS out of U and ME...